From: Tracey [mailto:tracey@tbt.co.za]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 10:08 PM
To: Heidi Smith; Kathy Mayeda; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Running martingales

Heidi wrote:
>>If you feel uncomfortable about stopping ability in the french link, by all means go with the Kimberwick rather than the martingale.<<

Not sure I'd go with either.  Kimbelwickes need a LOT of leg if you're going to overcome that curb action.  If you're having problems braking, it will give you ABS brakes, but you're going to see a horse backing off of the bit, with quarters strung out.  If not used with a strong leg and by a sensitive rider, you're also going to see a horse carrying it's head too deep, flexing frmo the crest, and backing off of the aids.

>>But also concentrate on the mechanics of simply setting your hands and driving your horse into the stop with your seat and legs, instead of using the bit as the primary stopping aid.

Ay-yi-yi.  Not setting the hands, surely?  The aids for a halt are deep seat, legs applied to the horses side to bring his quarters underneath him, and soft, hands, which encourage the horse to come up into the bridle (not set hands).  It's a give and take of the reins, not just a take.  Setting the hands will encourage the horse to poke his nose to resist the hands.

Is this a good time to discuss the half halt?

Kathy wrote:

>>Dom thought that I should try the RM with the french link first before going to the kimberwicke (without the RM first), but then again, Becky Hart, my instructor when I slow down enough to take a lesson, uses kimberwickes or Tteam bit and no RMs.  <<

And Mark Todd uses a Waterford Snaffle on his babies, Mary King uses a Magenis snaffle on hers, John Whittaker rode Milton in a slow twist fulmer snaffle, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, the bit you use depends first and foremost on the shape of your horse's mouth, the effectiveness of your hands, and his level of training.

I know, I know, you're all going "she's not a distance rider, what does she know?", and all I can say in my defence is that going at speed across country also requires brakes and control.

I guess that what I'm saying is that, before you go out and buy bits and gadgets to give you control, spend some time reconfirming the correct aids for braking and slowing.  Personally, I find that the best place to do this is on trail, when your horse IS moving forwards and getting strong.

Doing gallops in a group, with a fit, over the top eventer is probably as adrenalin-raising as the start of an endurance ride, but I find that I feel more confident on my horse in a snaffle, because he responds to the aids, than on my fiancee's horse in a curb, because he doesn't!

Tracey