RE: Taking a dog on training rides

Lysane,

*I* wouldn't attempt what you describe. Those retractable leads are great
for teaching a dog a reliable recall (I can describe exactly how to do that
if you would like my advice), but they aren't a leash. Think through all the
possible scenarios and tell me how that retractable leash is going to keep
the dog beside you if he really wants to leave. Far better to train the dog
to stay with you under all circumstances. All circumstances means that they
will stick with you as deer and rodents and other dogs come along and run
the other direction.

I often ride with my friends' dogs (my horse really enjoys the company and
the dogs need the exercise), but the only road crossing I do is under the
road -- through a tunnel that goes under a fairly busy 4-lane state highway.
That said, every single one of these dogs knows what "stay close" or just
"close" means. It means "just in front of" me or their owner. (The Airedale
prefers hugging my horse's hind legs, but it is an Airedale after all.) We
insist that they stay close when we approach the tunnel and until it is out
of sight.

If the roads are relatively quiet, as you say, work on training your dog. As
I said, I can help you with that (or point you to a few resources) if you'd
like.

Or consider hand-walking the horse and dog to the trail. (Dog on no longer
than a 6 ft. leash.) I can refer you to some great equipment through RC
Steele or JB Wholesale if all you want is a "handle" on your dog.

Other questions. Do you know how other people would react to your dog?
(Would it be a positive reaction?)  Do you have adequate control over your
dog that you can prevent the dog from approaching other humans or horses? If
you say "sit" and "stay", will he do so under all circumstances? These are
skills that I think all dogs should have.

Deanna (Ohio)
AERC #M30478

-------------------------------------
I was just wondering if anyone brings a dog along with
them on their training rides? The reason I am asking
is because I do have to go on a few roads to get to
some of the trails and although the roads are
relatively quiet, I don't feel comfortable leaving my
dog loose. So what I was thinking of holding the dog
on a retractable leash with enough room to avoid being
trampled, but not long enough to get me in a tangle.
Think this is crazy or doable? Ponying a horse works,
but I am wondering if this would work with a dog since
they are much lower down.
E-mail me privately if this is not related enough to
endurance.
Thanks,
Lysane