Re: Taking a dog on training rides

Hi!  I often train with my English Springer Spaniel Murphy as I trained for
years with my first springer, Kelley.  I take him only when I will not be on
roads with any kind of fast traffic.  I do, however take him on quiet roads,
and have taught him to come and be next to my horse on the ditch side, when
I say "Murphy. Come"  I have even hollered it while riding with others and
he will pick the first bay horse and line up next to it!  I started this on
trails, away from traffic, so if he did not mind, it didn't have fatal
consequences.  Springers, as bird dogs, tend to be good listeners and eager
to please, so I had an advantage - a dog that may not mind as quickly would
be out of my league - I am surely not a dog trainer!

One way to ensure his safety is to walk him on a leash while you hand walk
your horse to your trails (hey, we have to stay fit too!).  I do not think I
would try to 'pony' a dog - what if he wrapped around your horse's leg???
EEECCKK....a crash for sure!  I guess I am not much help- good luck!

Laura

"Lysane Cree" wrote