Snow/bitter climates

For the second time in less than two months west Texas is covered with
snow.  When we get snow as early as we did in the season (November) then
snow again the first of January it makes for a very long winter.  I am
simply not used to this.  All week long the weather has been bitter
cold.  Wind chills low, wind miserable, and not over 40 degrees in
several days.  Needless to say, I'm not riding in this mess.

It brings to mind this question: what is your temperature cut off for
riding?  40 degrees?  45 degrees?  Less?  More?  Do you factor in wind
speed and wind chill?

Since I've always ridden in either hellish heat or nice weather but not
bitter cold it also makes me wonder how I would handle the 'after ride'
care of my horses.  If they are sweaty would I make sure they are
totally dry before turned out?  If they start out wet from snow before I
even saddle up what then?

I don't want to be a weenie about weather.  Truth be told I'd prefer to
not ride when it is less than say, 60 degrees.  But I figure I might as
well suck it up, bundle up, and give it a go.  That is.....if it is safe
for the horse and I know a bit more about horsecare during cold weather.

Any tips from you folks living a bit further north that have to deal
with this weather often?

kris