Re: Snow/bitter climates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kris Givens" <givensb@prodigy.net>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 2:21 PM
Subject: RC: Snow/bitter climates

> For the second time in less than two months west Texas is covered with
> snow.  When we get snow as early as we did in the season (November) then
> snow again the first of January it makes for a very long winter.  I am
> simply not used to this.  All week long the weather has been bitter
> cold.  Wind chills low, wind miserable, and not over 40 degrees in
> several days.  Needless to say, I'm not riding in this mess.

Hello Kris -

You sound almost angry...Please don't let a bit of cold and wind negatively
affect a very good time of year to ride. Now, I'm from New York (35+ minutes
from Buffalo, where we got over 7 feet of snow in 5 days). I don't know much
about Texas weather than it is hotter than hell in the summer, I could never
bring myself to go there (I don't even like our summers up here too well,
very warm and HUMID).
We just went through a terrible "dry spell" in Nov. & beginning Dec., where
we didn't get ANY snow, and it was actually warm where people were wearing
shorts. 40 deg. is perfect riding weather!

> It brings to mind this question: what is your temperature cut off for
> riding?  40 degrees?  45 degrees?  Less?  More?  Do you factor in wind
> speed and wind chill?

I day camp thoughout the year, and am quite often still in the woods at
nightfall, a couple miles out. The coldest I've been in was about -20, and a
very slight breeze across the fields. I routinely ride in cold, blustery
snow, and minus windchills. You must be cognizant of the windchills for the
both of you, cold air can be tough breathing for your horse. I factor in
snow depth, where we're going, temp & wind. Beautiful and enjoyable as it
is, you can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you're not prepared.

> Since I've always ridden in either hellish heat or nice weather but not
> bitter cold it also makes me wonder how I would handle the 'after ride'
> care of my horses.  If they are sweaty would I make sure they are
> totally dry before turned out?  If they start out wet from snow before I
> even saddle up what then?

I ride easy in winter, and mostly w/ a bareback pad, but if they do get
sweaty, I make sure they're dry before they go out. I have used a blow dryer
and fluffed up their hair (after they are cool and the numbers are down to
normal). I brush off their legs. Don't worry if their backs are wet when you
start out, they will dry  under the pad. They are not clipped, nor do they
wear blankets (they have them, just in case, but it has been several years).

> I don't want to be a weenie about weather.  Truth be told I'd prefer to
> not ride when it is less than say, 60 degrees.  But I figure I might as
> well suck it up, bundle up, and give it a go.  That is.....if it is safe
> for the horse and I know a bit more about horsecare during cold weather.

Get some good winter riding clothes, you can improvise, sew-your-own, or
splurge, and buy the expensive stuff. Get boots and gaiters, use heat packs
if you need to, wear a full-face mask/hat, long unders, all that. Use a
merino seatcover. One can be bundled up and still have good mobility. Carry
extra gloves. To me, summer is my least favorite riding season, just too
hot, humid, and buggy. This past July & August, I only rode about 8 times
total. Miserable.

> Any tips from you folks living a bit further north that have to deal
> with this weather often?

Carry some extra supplies with you. I ride with a spare piece of folded up
polarfleece under my saddle, which I have used as a blanket along with my
mylar blanket once when we got stranded in a suprise blizzard after dark. My
horse has a polarfleece cooler/rump rug to keep snow off (I bought the
fleece at the fabric store, for about $15, enough for three horses). This is
in addition to a few other things we carry (search archives).
I live for this time of year, the horses love it, it is quiet and serene, I
just cannot
imagine living anywhere else where there is no snow (but different
strokes...)
Enjoy this time of year!

Hope this helps -

Cheryl in WNY