Re: Snow/bitter climates

> It brings to mind this question: what is your temperature cut off for
> riding?  40 degrees?  45 degrees?  Less?  More?  Do you factor in wind
> speed and wind chill?

Having grown up ranching in Idaho winters, we never had the luxury of having
a "cutoff" for riding in cold weather.  Consequently, now that I don't "have
to" ride in the cold, my only question is whether it will be a pleasant
experience or not.  My husband is from Denmark and absolutely loves winter
riding.  When we do ride in the winter, we just do what seems comfortable,
and don't pay much attention to the thermometer.  I personally think that
really chilly weather is easier for the horse than when it is 33 and
raining.

> Since I've always ridden in either hellish heat or nice weather but not
> bitter cold it also makes me wonder how I would handle the 'after ride'
> care of my horses.  If they are sweaty would I make sure they are
> totally dry before turned out?  If they start out wet from snow before I
> even saddle up what then?

We've always tried not to do a lot at speed in cold weather, both to avoid
being sweat-soaked and to avoid heavy breathing of super-chilled air.
(Talking sub-zero sorts of conditions here...)  That said--yes, the main
thing is to make sure the horse is fairly dry before turning back out.
Slower rides with long cool-down times are best, because then they are
practically dry (other than perhaps right under the saddle) when you get
done.

> I don't want to be a weenie about weather.  Truth be told I'd prefer to
> not ride when it is less than say, 60 degrees.  But I figure I might as
> well suck it up, bundle up, and give it a go.  That is.....if it is safe
> for the horse and I know a bit more about horsecare during cold weather.

Well, up here our horses are out in it 24/7, and they play hard and cavort
out in the snow and the cold routinely.  Carrying a rider around isn't a
whole lot different, if they aren't asked to do much at sustained
speed--which often is limited by slippery footing in the ice and snow
anyway.

Heidi
(Tendoy, Idaho, and reveling in the fact that it is no longer sub-zero--we
actually are having highs in the 20's and lows only down to 10 or so this
week!!!  Seems downright balmy out there...)