Re: Snow/bitter climates

It is funny that you should bring this up today.  It is about 20 degrees
here, up from the 9 of yesterday.  We got about 4 inches of fluffy snow to
cover the hard and frozen footing we have had for days.  I am about 45 miles
southwest of Buffalo NY- Let me tell you about riding in the cold and snow!

My riding partner and I rode today.  My horse started with about 2 inches of
snow on his back, I brushed it off with my mitten and put on the saddle.  I
thought about riding bareback because it is warmer, but with all my clothes
on, I was afraid I couldn't get on!  We had to stay off the road because it
was a little slippery.  I remove shoes in the winter to keep the snow and
ice from balling up.  I can ride for the 4 months of snow pack without
shoes, but have to shoe him as soon as the snow goes or I don't have enough
foot to get to the first ride.

I trailer to ride about 3 times a week and I do worry about putting a sweaty
horse in the trailer, so I blanket him.  Sometimes I leave the blanket on
when I turn him out (only run in sheds here) and remove it later in the
evening, but to tell you the truth, he would be happier without it....it
makes ME feel better.

I consider 40 degrees fairly warm, and would probly not do anything
different at that temp.  I try not to ride when it is below 15 or 20...I
hate when I jump off and my feet crackle...I do not like the wind when it is
below 30 or so.

For personal comfort- you have to have a helmet big enough to accommodate a
thin fleece hat or band.  I make sure my neck is covered, and my feet stay
dry .  Felt pack boots are a must, but don't drive your feet too far into
the stirrups, or they won't come out.  Good waterproof gloves are a must.

Good Luck!!!

Laura Hayes AERC #2741