Re: RC: Dog Rules

At 03:10 PM 10/19/01, you wrote:
>  I started to post something about AERC making a rule about dogs as well.
>However, aren't ride managers the ruling body at their own rides?
they do - lots of folks choose to break them :(

>Can't
>you ride managers throw out, or not allow trouble makers to stay in camp?
Easier said than done and how would you suggest doing that? if the person
didn't get in their truck and nicely drive away (not likely after driving X
hours and paying an entry fee), then what would the RM do? drive their
truck off for them? probably not. Call the local sheriff's office? no
because there was not a crime - just a broken rule. Implementing this would
be a nightmare on top of whatever else the RM is dealing with.

Have you been to a large ride? As much of a pain as they are to a few
people, I can't imagine that a loose dog or two would even make in on a
RM's radar screen for what he/she has to handle over the course of the weekend.

>  If
>dogs are really THAT much trouble, then just boycott rides that allow
>them!
then I wouldn't go to most of the rides in my region and I'm sure that
other regions are similar in that regard

>Or the responsible dog owners and other riders need to get on the
>irresponsible ones.
and have little fistfights breaking out all over camp?

I don't know what the answer is but putting it on the RM on ride day is
probably not it and having roving bands of vigilantes :) probably isn't it
either.

I have a very well trained, quiet, non-obtrusive dog that travelled with me
for several years to rides - I never had a problem with him and neither did
anyone around me - people used to easily find me because they could just
look for the dalmatian on his tie-line. I kinda stopped taking him the last
year or two because I found it was just one more thing to focus on when I
was a ride - not because he caused any trouble. However, I have had food
stolen and saddle pads peed on from other dogs at rides. Because of that,
even though I used to *always* travel with a dog  I would gladly support a
RM ban on dogs at any given ride.

This is just like in first grade when someone else talked too much and
caused the whole class to stay in at recess - some things never change, huh?

Tina