Re: RC: RE: Dealing Responsibly with Injured People

In a message dated 10/18/2001 6:32:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bgloverhrsewmn@hotmail.com writes:

<< We have a form release, called AMA  , against medical advice.
 If the person is in bad shape and they refuse medical treatment against
 medical advice, and have been educated about the risks and benefits of
 treatment...then they may be liable for any medical bills resulting from
 their injury, as a result of refusing treatment!  >>
Also in CA we have code section 5150 W & I.  That provides for detaining
folks with mental problems if they are a danger to self or others.  There is
also a section under that for those that are "gravely disabled".  Those who
can't provide for their own care or make appropriate decisions about it.  It
can be due to injury or mental difficulty.  So, you've got the head injury
victim who's adamant that he doesn't want to go to the hospital, yet is
seriously injured.  The medic tells law enforcement the victim needs to go,
then LE does the detention under 5150 W & I.  Now the victim has no choice
and must go.  Of course this is not something that's not done very often
(only serious medical emergency, someone might die or be really screwed up
for life, type situations), but its another option to make sure that those
that need treatment get it.

Abigail Madden