RE: Toxins in horses' feet

A quickie clarification:

I erred in leaving the word "hoof" in my organ classification, as I know
that the hoof in and of itself is not an organ.  What you might look at is
the material that the sole is comprised of.  The hoof wall is different in
composition than that of the sole.  And yes! you're right about the hoof
being referred to as a type of secondary "heart", as the hoof corium is a
highly vascular "sponge", as the expansion and contraction of the hoof
capsule will have a type of pumping effect in getting blood to and from the
corium.  When the hoof is lifted, the capsule narrows and squeezes blood
out; when down in weight-bearing position, the expansion of the hoof capsule
allows the corium to fill again with blood, etc., etc.

But, I personally have had "calcium deposits" expelled through my
fingernails before, so they do aid in that respect.  But, obviously not to
the degree that our skin facilitates the excretion of toxins from our body
via sweatglands.

In terms of Laminitis, this does not occur because of toxins (or lack
thereof) in and of itself.  In a normal, healthy hoof, the coffin bone
should be parallel to the ground.  The weight of the horse coming down on
the coffin bone is, in theory, distributed equally to all parts of the hoof
capsule and to all parts of the laminae (white line).  In cases where the
coffin bone is tilted forward through having higher heels, wedge pads, etc.,
the joint surface moves closer to the wall of the toe, and this type of
geometry causes the weight to be displaced further forward than usual.  As a
result, the laminar corium in the toe area becomes chronically overstressed.
While this situation does not in itself necessarily cause laminitis, it
causes it more susceptibility in this delicate balance.  Any metabolic
disturbance caused by things like hormonal changes, chemical reactions to
drugs, increases in normal blood protein levels (too much fresh grass or too
much grain) can be all it needs to cause the lamellae to excrete
inflammation secretions instead of horn, and the connection to the laminar
horn of the toe is pulled apart by weight bearing down on the misaligned
coffin bone.  This is what causes the pain in their toe region and therefore
will cause the horse to shift its weight to the rear, resulting in the
typical "founder stance".

While the lamallae and laminar horn can be forced apart in a matter of
hours, the structural anomalies of the lamellae which allow such a rapid
parting can take place over many months. So, the introduction of whatever
the "final straw" was (be it too much fresh grass, grain, etc.) is just the
last factor of what triggered the founder.

From one of Dr. Strassers books, "Conventional treatment for laminitis
(further restricting circulation through box (stall) rest, shoeing,
restricting shock absorption through shoeing, adding toxins to the system
via chemical drugs, leaving the corium to dry out or be damaged by cutting
away part of the toe wall, making it impossible for the horse to shift its
weight rearward because of the heel pain resulting from long heels or, worse
yet, wedge pads) results only in a considerable delay--if not complete
prevention--of healing."

I'm going to add that she probobly meant that the heel pain is not so much
from having too-high heels, but from the pain arising from the shortened
digital flexor tendon that can't stretch out like it normally does.

Hope that helps in clarifying what I meant to say... and thank you for
pointing out my earilier error; it's nice to know that I have to be on my
toes amongst such great posters!

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR