Toxins in horses' feet

<Since these "toxins" are excreted through organs
including the skin (our largest organ!) and hoof, which really does
"breathe" and sweat, I believe that that is what they are referring >
Tracey,
Perhaps you have heard someone make reference to the horse's hoof acting
like a "pump" much the same as the heart.  Nelson often uses that analogy to
help people understand how the horse pumps blood back up the leg... the
hemodynamic blood flow theory (Trish Mare, can you help me out with the
reference to your Equus article about this theory, please?).  The hoof is
NOT an organ in any way.  The hoof wall is like your fingernail or
toenail...it is dead tissue.  Toxins are not excreted through the hoof (I
have never heard it can sweat either)...if they were, we would not have to
worry about laminitis.  Toxins ACCUMULATE in the hoof when for some reason a
horse's health is compromised and cannot excrete toxins.