Bibliographies on Barefoot Info for Sue, Truman, etc.

Sue, Truman, etc.

I know you don't have a lot of time to delve into researching something
outside of your field, I thought I'd at least provide some of the sources
that Dr. Strasser ( a vet in Germany) used in writing her two books at the
end of my post.  Just thought I'd include these in the spirit of this
educated debate!  :-)

Interestingly enough, one of her sources did studies on this whole debate
back in the early 1800's; a gentleman by the name of Bracey Clark who
apparently wrote extensively on the topic!  I do not know of his personal
educational background (I don't have the inclination to delve *that* far in
it myself!), but it's interesting in the light that some folks who have been
participating in this thread have made it sound like this is a recent fad or
discovery. From what I understand about his methodology, it wasn't always
as, well, scientific as we'd all like, but I have to assume that he was
operating under the understanding of the knowledge of horse anatomy and
physiology that was availabe to him at that time.

Also, it my understanding that heat in an unshod foot would be judged just
as other body parts would be; In theory, all legs would be of a similar
warmth if the circulation is not impaired, and if one foot was notably
warmer than the other legs (or similar part of the body), then it could be
indicative of a possible infection or symptomatic of some other type of
pathology.  I would be interested to see if she obtained her "findings" on
higher protein levels taxing the kidneys from verifiable research studies or
if she just came to this realization on her own.

Don't get me wrong, I have had nothing but good luck with her trimming and
maintainance methods, but then again, there were no pre-existing pathologies
in in my horse's hooves or legs when we started using this method.  Often
people whose horses are navicular or seriously foundered will try Dr.
Strasser's methods as a last resort before having their horse put down, and
from what I understand I haven't heard of any who had to be euthanized after
trying her methods and religiously keeping up with them. I saw a friend of
mine's horse I was keeping track of almost completely turned around after 10
months from when she almost had to euthanize him.  He was in awful shape,
horribly foundered, two of his hoof capsules came completely off (very
gross), etc.  She showed me his feet (or lack thereof) just to help herself
cope with the exceedingly difficult decision she was going to have to make,
but at the same time, she mentioned that it was that much more difficult for
her because she didn't feel in her heart that she had tried absolutely
everything first.  All the things they had tried seemed to make it worse:
wrapping his legs, putting heart-bar shoes on, different kinds of pads,
keeping him stalled 24/7, etc. Shortly thereafter she came across some of
Dr. Strasser's success stories and felt she should at least give it a try
before putting her champion Peruvian Paso stallion (and baby!) down.
Fortunately for her (and others), she now has her "baby" cantering around
the pasture, not in pain anymore, showing off to the fillies in the other
pasture.  She just about cries every time she thinks about how close she was
to losing him forever.

But, it is good to see where and how Dr. Strasser is basing her findings.
People need to be able to make informed choices in times of stress or need,
and these things help them feel better about having made a truly educated
decision.

On the whole "toxins" part, well, from what I remember from my anatomy &
physiology class (geez, that was waaaaay back!), waste products are released
on the cellular level and excreted from the body via the bloodstream through
the various organs.  Since these "toxins" are excreted through organs
including the skin (our largest organ!) and hoof, which really does
"breathe" and sweat, I believe that that is what they are referring to.

In cases where the coronary corium is compromised in any way, either by
pressure via hoof contraction, etc. (therefore compromising the overall
circulation within the hoof), pathologies such as thrush can occur.  Why?
Because ever-present bacteria decomposes the tissue of the frog at a faster
rate than the tissue of the frog horn can regenerate due to lack of
circulation.  So, moisture in itself isn't the main cause of thrush as is
commonly assumed. After all, hooves need moisture, right?  But if the rest
of the balances aren't just right, then these pathologies begin to appear.

This was alot longer than I originally anticipated (sorry, I get carried
away and can't help myself!).  So, I'll get myself my much-needed second
(and last!) cuppa joe and get on with my day.  I do hope this has been of
some help.  Here are the Bibliographies (not all!), and unfortunately a lot
of them are in German!  I'll also include a translating website to assist
those who are curious enough to want to look but are not literate in German!

Babelfish web site
Use this site to translate the German web sites.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn

	Adams.  "Adams' Lameness in Horses." Philadelphia, 1962.

	Alexander, J.P. & Colles, C.M.  "Shoeing--an unnecessary evil."
Equine Veterinary Journal, 1986

	Bein, L.  "Pruefung eines elastischen Pferdehufbeschlages mit Hilfe
ungulographischer Untersuchungen im Vergleich zum Eisenbeschlag."
Dissertation Unviersitaet Zurich, 1984

	Blendinger, W.  "Gesundheitspflege und erste Hilfe fuer das Pferd."
Verlag Paul Parey, Berlin/Hamburg, 1980.

	Bruns, U. & Tellington-Jones, L.  "Die Tellington-Methode."
Mueller-Rueschlikon, 1985

	Budras, K.D.  et al.  "Atlas der Anatomie des Pferdes-Hehrbuch fuer
Tieraerzte und Studierende."  Schluetersche Verlagsanstalt, Hannover, 1994

	Carnat, G.  "Das Hufeisen in seiner Bedeutung fuer Kultur und
Zivilisation."  ABC Druckerei & Verlags AG, Zuerich

	Clark, B (Bracy? Bracey?):

	"A Series of Original Experiments on the Foot of the Living
Horse..." London, 1809 (Royal Veterinary College Library CT)

	"Podophthora; or, the Demonstration of a Pernicious Defect in the
Principle of the Common Shoe."  London, 1829.  (Royal Veterinary College
Library CT)

	"Stereoplea: or, the Artificial Defence of the Horse's Foot
Considered..."  London, 1932 (Royal Veterinary College Library CT)

	Damsen, B. van and Schmidt, R.  "Hufschuhe."  Mueller Rueschlikon
Verlags AG, 1995

	Koerber, H.D.  "Huf, Hufbschlag, Hufkrankheiten." Frankh Kosmos
Verlad, Stuttgart, 1997

	Rooney, J.R. "Consideration of the interaction of the horse's hoof
with the ground." Journey of Equine Veterinary Science, 4/86

	Rooney, J.R. "Die Lahmheiten de Pferdes." Ahnert-Verlag, 1979

	Strasser, H. "Gesunde Hufe ohne Beschlag." Beate Danker Verlag,
Friedberg, 1989

	Strasser, H. "Huforthopaedie - heilen ohne Beschlag." Beate Danker
Verlag, Friedberg, 1992

	Strasser, H. "Die praktische Arbeit am unbeschlagenen Huf."  Beate
Danker Verlag, Friedberg, 1996

	Strasser, H. "Neue Aspecte zur Strahlbeinlahmheit." in
"Tieraerztliche Unschau" 8/96

	Zierold, R.  "Ueber die Fleisch - und Hornblaettchen der Hufhaut des
Pferdes,"  Dissertation at Tieraerztliche Hochschule Dresden, 1910.

Tracey "I'm getting carpul-tunnel syndrome" Ritter
Sunny Portland, OR (better get a ride in while this lasts!)

winmail.dat