Re: RE: Toxins in horses' feet

I agreed with everything you said, until you got to this part:

> From one of Dr. Strassers books, "Conventional treatment for laminitis
> (further restricting circulation through box (stall) rest, shoeing,
> restricting shock absorption through shoeing, adding toxins to the system
> via chemical drugs, leaving the corium to dry out or be damaged by cutting
> away part of the toe wall, making it impossible for the horse to shift its
> weight rearward because of the heel pain resulting from long heels or,
worse
> yet, wedge pads) results only in a considerable delay--if not complete
> prevention--of healing."

We have a broodmare right now down at the vet hospital  in with acute
laminitis.  Shoeing had nothing to do with causing it (she's barefoot,
anyway), what did it for her was a retained placenta.  Yes, she's being
treated by putting her in a stall, cushioning her feet from additional
pressure with foam pads duct taped onto her feet and with
anti-inflammatories, nitroglycerine patches to increase the blood
circulation to her feet and DMSO in her fluids.  If you could see this mare,
you would know that asking her to do anything else that involves having to
move on her feet would be the very height of cruelty, as would witholding
the proven therapies that are this mare's only chance for survival.  I don't
know in what field this Dr. Strasser has a doctorate degree, but if the
suggestion is that every laminitis should be treated by just exercise or
trimming or whatever, that's way off base.  Proper trimming has its place,
but it doesn't prevent or heal all wounds, nor should it ever attempt to
replace proper veterinary medical care when called for.

JMO.
Susan G