Re: RE: barefoot on the WRRT

OK, I can always find another two cents...
SOME horses can tolerate rocks and gravel just fine though I personally
think making them walk on it in their own pasture/pen/paddock or whatever is
not always a safe thing to do.  I always throw out rocks.  I have seen too
many horses injure themselves on rocks and not just by bruising the sole
(which could lead to an abscess) but cutting the coronet band or twisting a
foot if they land just right which generally can happen when they are just
playing around or if it's icy or muddy. (And especially if you have a big
ride coming up that you have looked forward to forever!).   I even throw out
ice chunks in the winter...rocks and ice are not a comfortable thing for a
horse to land on with its body should it slip or fall.  And I have seen it
happen!   I want everyone to understand...I DO ride on gravel barefoot
sometimes.  Usually for a couple of months in the spring after the shoes and
snow pads come off.  I often ride only with front shoes early in the season.
So, I am not AGAINST riding barefoot.... there are some rides in Michigan I
might even do 25 miles barefoot with Malik. But I have never let Malik wear
his feet to the point he might get sore...why would I do that to him?  To
see if he will get sore?  It's unrealistic to try to ride a horse barefoot
over a long distance and figure you can just slap easyboots on them (or have
shoes put on later) if they do get sore.  They can do more than just be
sore...they can injure themselves.  They can end up with stone bruising that
could lead to an abscess.  If they become lame and are pulled, easyboots
won't bail you out then either.  Either ride with foot protection or don't.
I remember that Darolyn Butler has been doing some barefoot riding and
before I went off list earlier this year, she had documented her experiences
and shared them with this list.  I bet those posts are in the archives and
might please Tracey as Darolyn is definitely an advocate of going barefoot
though I do believe she knows all her horses and what they can and cannot
tolerate and has a definite program in mind when she decides to convert them
to going barefoot.  And Tracey, I would like to add that you are lucky with
your Peruvian...I have never seen one that didn't have rock hard feet.  So,
your guy definitely has an advantage over some other breeds.  OTOH, I don't
know of any Thoroughbred that could even walk across the street barefoot!
OK, maybe that's extreme but I have seen very few that didn't need shoes if
they were doing any serious work or conditioning.  These are simply my
personal observations and thoughts on the subject which is what makes RC so
wonderful...we can agree to disagree.  :)
Maggie
P.S.  Since horses' feet are our livelihood, it is inevitable that it is
something I think about a lot.  :)