RE: RE: barefoot on the WRRT

Hey, Maggie -

Well, I wasn't advocating that they be ridden over gravel til sore or
crippled!  However, horses get sore from all sorts of things, poor saddle
fit, muscle pulls from experiencing uneven terrain, etc... all things that
happen, despite our best efforts.

There is a difference between a horse picking his way over terrain and being
"ouchy" over gravel, but sometimes it's hard to tell when you're astride.
Being choosy doesn't mean he's sore, doesn't mean he's not, either.
However, the conditioning I have been doing has been extremely gradual and
slow so that I don't intentionally push him until he's sore. That would be
extremely self-defeating, as I want him as ridable at 25 as he is now at 5.
No bruises or abcesses to date.  Not one.  He did have a horrible pasture
accident that tore his tendons on his right rear pastern 2 1/2 years ago,
but not rock or gravel related (an old cracked concrete culvert that his
foot fell through while playing "The Black Stallion" in his pasture!).  But,
he *is* currently powering forward over all the terrain he's come across
without any problems to date (knock on wood!... Ouch!).

Like Darolyn, I hope to post my experiences - both positive and negative -
so that I may be a source of reliable information when others have questions
about it.  I have heard of Darolyn's efforts, and I applaud her, as she has
the visibility in this sport that we don't yet.  But, I have spent a great
amount of time, effort and money to make sure that I am as educated as I can
be before attempting this... I cannot afford to replace my gelding, as he is
truly one of a kind (rock hard feet and all!).  So, thank you again for the
opportunity to set forth my experiences and I thank you for input that I
value highly... that's how we learn, right?!

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR