Re: Re: RE: barefoot on the WRRT

>>> It's unrealistic to try to ride a horse barefoot
over a long distance and figure you can just slap easyboots on them (or have
shoes put on later) if they do get sore.  They can do more than just be
sore...they can injure themselves.  They can end up with stone bruising that
could lead to an abscess. >>>>

How is it unrealistic to ride a "conditioned to the task " barefoot horse
over a long distance? Horses were not born with shoes on. Horses were not
born with easy boots on either. I am not saying that *all* horses in any
area of the county can do endurance consistantly barefoot, because that is
yet to be seen. I can only speak from my own personal experience, and
observations. Fact is that shoes only protect the hoof wall from excessive
wear. That is the shoes *only* purpose. I find that most people's perception
is that barefoot horses are *more* susceptible to stone bruising than a shod
horse. Working several summers for a friend/ equine vet, and helping to trim
horses for a couple farrier's,  I have seen FAR more shod horses abcess and
have hoof problems/ lameness than barefooted horses. Of course a padded
horse is going to have more protection (we think). I have also found this
thinking to be the exact opposite in my observations. When my horses were
shod (and even padded) when it came time to trim, and the soles were cleaned
out,  there was always bruising every time. In training rides, and races,
they would plow right threw everything on the trail, and trip (sometimes
badly) as if they could not feel anything! Now since they have all been
barefoot, they are much more careful on the trail, watch where they are
going, (certainly not ouchy), and they are much safer, surefooted horses.
Now when trimming,  I have yet to see a bruised sole. I think the important
thing to remember is that the horse absolutely must be "conditioned
barefoot" to the task at hand. It is unfair to "surprise" the horse and ask
any horse, shod or unshod, to traverse 50 miles + terrian that they are not
conditioned/ adapted to. We trailer out and condition on terrian that is
worse than what they will encounter on the rides. And no, I will not put
hoof protection on my horse's feet unneccessarily (for just in case) unless
they need it. Hoof boots do not have the same traction as a "barefoot hoof",
they impair hoof mechanism to some degree, can rub ect., and IMO can never
be designed as "perfect" as mother nature designed the horse's foot. I have
nothing against hoof protection/ boots, but firmly believe why use if it is
not needed. I guess it's just the same as I do not need or ever ride with a
breast collar, bit, ect.
Just my observations . . .
Robyn
& Adelante 175  AERC "barefoot" miles