Re: Re: Re: RE: barefoot on the WRRT

 >> How is it unrealistic to ride a "conditioned to the task " barefoot
horse
> over a long distance? Horses were not born with shoes on. Horses were not
> born with easy boots on either. >>

Nor would they travel 50 to 100 miles each day in the wild

>> Fact is that shoes only protect the hoof wall from excessive
> wear. That is the shoes *only* purpose. <<

And to protect the walls from chipping, to keep the sensitve areas of the
sole from contact with rocks ....

>>I find that most people's perception
> is that barefoot horses are *more* susceptible to stone bruising than a
shod
> horse. Working several summers for a friend/ equine vet, and helping to
trim
> horses for a couple farrier's,  I have seen FAR more shod horses abcess
and
> have hoof problems/ lameness than barefooted horses.>>

In my 18 years of being a farrier and 20 years in endurance, I have not
found this to be true.

 >>Of course a padded
> horse is going to have more protection (we think). I have also found this
> thinking to be the exact opposite in my observations. When my horses were
> shod (and even padded) when it came time to trim, and the soles were
cleaned
> out,  there was always bruising every time.>>

With all due respect, I have not found this to be true in horses who were
left barefoot on the off season, and whose feet were maintained on a regular
basis.  It is quiet possible to wear pads during the racing season with no
ill effects.

>> In training rides, and races,
> they would plow right threw everything on the trail, and trip (sometimes
> badly) as if they could not feel anything! Now since they have all been
> barefoot, they are much more careful on the trail, watch where they are
> going, (certainly not ouchy), and they are much safer, surefooted
horses.>>

I train 6 months of the year barefoot because there is significant snow
cover here in the NE, but I have never had a horse who was more surefooted
while barefoot than with shoes, or shoes and pads. I also have never had a
horse who did not 'need' shoes by spring due to excessive hoof wear while
training for 50 and 100 milers.  I have competed over 15 horses in the last
20 years (many were other people's) and as a farrier and vet tech, I can
tell you that none of them had good enough feet to go a season without
shoes.

>>Hoof boots do not have the same traction as a "barefoot hoof",
> they impair hoof mechanism to some degree, can rub ect., and IMO can never
> be designed as "perfect" as mother nature designed the horse's foot.>>

I agree on all counts, but what we are asking our horses to do is neither
'natural' nor perfect.  I am very glad you are finding that you can do what
you do without the shoes that you obviously do not want, but I can't believe
that horses can compete on any kind of mileage schedule without shoes.  I
have wracked my brain, and that of my vet husband and every one else who
cares, to come up with hoof protection that is less invasive than nailed on
shoes, but so far, I have found nothing that can compete on all counts.

>> I have
> nothing against hoof protection/ boots, but firmly believe why use if it
is
> not needed. I guess it's just the same as I do not need or ever ride with
> breast collar, bit, ect.>>

I agree, and I will never use a bit if I don't have to, but it is a much
simplier process to go bitless than shoeless!!!

>> Just my observations . . .
> Robyn
> & Adelante 175  AERC "barefoot" miles
> Lissali 50 AERC "barefoot" miles>>

Just my opinion...
Laura -3500 miles since '85, 1500 before that - all with shoes!!!!!!
& Desco Music - my feet are hard, but mama better shoe me if she wants to do
600 miles a season!!