Writing From Manhattan

Hi all,
I work on the upper east side, at Lenox Hill Hospital.  On Tuesday,
though, we were doing the pre-season testing on the NY Rangers,
at Madison Square Garden, on 34th Street.  Much closer to the
epicenter.  I have to say that the city is still in shock, people are
attempting to go about their business, in a staggered sort of way.
Our emergency room has  picked up a few victims, but by in large,
there are so few survivors that only the donwntown hospitals are
seeing them.  Horrible.

I second the call for rationale behavior.  Even here in the city,
where our world will never be the same, I am not noticing any great
cry for revenge.  I think the reality is that everyone is horrified at
the loss of innocent life, and no one wants to advocate an action
that results in the loss of more innocents.  The hue and cry seems
to be aimed at finding the terrorists responsible for this, and their
groups, and going after them specifically.  Not tareting  civilian
populations.  Maryanne, most radio stations here and the TV
stations are all calling for patience and understanding with no
backlash against Arabs or Muslims.  Is seems that most people are
following that advice, so your children should not stay huddled in
their dorm rooms.  The horrific nature of this event has muted most
people in NY, and turned them very much away from violence.
They want justice, not revenge.  On the call-in radio programs we
are also hearing many people express that as a nation we need to
take responsibility to know exactly what our foreign policy is, and
how our policies have been and continue to affect other people.
While the terrorist attacks are undeniably evil, and unjustifiable, we
all must now be more aware of the material basis for much of the
mid-east's resentment towards our actions - or lack of- in that area.
Evidently, most of Binladen's lunatic ravings have not been about
the Palestinian issues, but about U.S. military force in the Saudi
Arabia, and our interference with other governments.  There are
certainly some justifiable reasons for Arab frustration with the US.
Unfortunately, you only need a few lunatic leaders to use religion to
fuel the underlying resentments of the people and you can end up
with a handful of people who will stop at nothing to vent their fury.  In
any case, New Yorkers as far as I can see are not targeting all
Arabs, and I seen very little rage over this.  Everyone is just grimly
determined to clean up and save who they can, and then to calmly
and coldly go after those responsible.
Beth Glace
New York