Re: RC: Tevis Completion Percentage This Year

At 02:08 PM 08/10/2001 -0400, Merryben@aol.com wrote:
>Also, Tevis typically has a lot of riders who have never done a 100, are
>riding leased horses they have never seen before, have no experience even
>on 50's, etc. etc.

Hi MB:  The stats show that it doesn't really matter whether or not the
horse or rider has prior experience or not.  Basically, it's all a crap
shoot whether or not you make it on that ride or not.  Being prepared is
important, and most probably are prepared (or at least think they are), and
whether you've only done one 25 mile LD ride or 3,000 miles with a 100%
completion rate -- you have basically the same odds of getting pulled.

There are a few riders that seem to be the cream of the crop, and manage to
beat the odds and complete the ride repeatedly.  They are mixed in with all
the others who are doing their first 100, or it is the horses first 100,
etc.....I'm not sure how you could separate it to figure anything out
though.  Not when you've got so many experienced riders and horses that
don't make it thru.  Funny, isn't it?

Karen