Re: Robert Duvalls casting call for his Civil War Movie

Title: Re:  Robert Duvalls casting call for his Civil War Movie
"Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@cruzio.com> said:

Every time I see a movie with the main character riding a horse that rears, I think "I wouldn't allow any horse I rode to rear."  Granted, it looks flashy to anyone not a horseman, but rearing is on my list of all time dangers.  Another comical one is horses that whinny at inappropriate moments....such as, standing quietly at a hitching rack or trotting down the trail.  Generally, it's been my observation that horses don't whinny readily and usually only when anxious.  Now, soft blowing through the nostrils I can accept, but not whinnying.  Lots of funny stuff thrown into the movies that has little to do with horse reality.  It surely looks flashy on the screen, though.

Rearing is a battle move.  So are 'airs above the ground'.  You wanted to psyche out your enemy wherever possible.  Also, rearing up on horseback, you can see further.  Also made you a better target.  :)

Just devil's advocate.  I have no interest in teaching a horse to rear, but boy, howdy, I'd love to teach my  horse 'airs above the ground' for some of these damn aggressive cows.

I agree with the mis-placed whinnying being annoying, but remember, that's why Bedoins rode mares into battle.  Stallions like to talk.

The crusader-knights prefered riding stallions, the moors prefered mares.  Can you imagine the chaos when they met in battle?