Fw: Re: Re: Robert Duvalls casting call for his Civil War Movie

----- Original Message -----
From: Barbara McCrary
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 10:59 AM
To: Howard Bramhall
Cc: RIDECAMP
Subject: RC: Re: Re: Robert Duvalls casting call for his Civil War Movie

Every time I see a movie with the main character riding a horse that rears, I think "I wouldn't allow any horse I rode to rear."  Granted, it looks flashy to anyone not a horseman, but rearing is on my list of all time dangers.  Another comical one is horses that whinny at inappropriate moments....such as, standing quietly at a hitching rack or trotting down the trail.  Generally, it's been my observation that horses don't whinny readily and usually only when anxious.  Now, soft blowing through the nostrils I can accept, but not whinnying.  Lots of funny stuff thrown into the movies that has little to do with horse reality.  It surely looks flashy on the screen, though.

Barbara,
Whose home office window looks out on the horse paddock and who does a lot of studying of horse behavior.

Oh, I don't allow Dance to do that anymore, but he would if I let him.  Damn, if the horse didn't teach me to ride two point (three, actually), with my hand on his neck bearing down.  I do this till he settles down, which can be up to 15 miles or so.

I know rearing is dangerous, but for guys like me who need attention, I used to let him do it at the most inappropriate time (vet checks, haha).  He's just so full of life, so much energy in a horse whose body and neck never end.  My gentle giant.

I love horses who can do tricks.  I once owned a horse who could unbutton a woman's blouse quicker than anything.  It was so funny.  He would nuzzle, the woman would allow this, and off the buttons would come.  What a gold mine he was.  And I'd always act so surprised and say, "Oh, I just can't believe he did that to you.  Bad horse (then I'd give him a carrot after the woman walked, or more like ran, quickly away)."  lol.

cya,
Howard (is it any wonder all of my horses are confused?)