hoof concussion protection using pads plus easyboots

nancy corbelletta corbeletta@corixa.com
I successfully completed Tevis last week with steel shoes with clips over
full shock tamer pads with foamed on easyboots over it all.  The easyboots
stayed on but were completely worn out after Tevis but my horse is sound
and ready to go again. The new style easyboots have a lower heal already
which I did not need to cut down and a rolled toe which helped with a
foam over FULL pads you must be aware that foam can get under the pad and
ball up causing pressure points that could lead to lameness.  Either use
rim pads instead, have a hole cut in the center of the full pad, or have
your shoer pack the space between the bottom of the foot and the pad then
seal it at the back with silicon (I used the pack & seal method).

I had not used any pads all year except for Tevis.  My horse seems to wear
out and loose shoes easily with the backs wearing down after 2-3 weeks
after shoeing.  He does not grow hoof quickly either so I went to
easyboots over shoes to save shoe wear more than concussion protection.  I
would often put easyboots over my shoes without foam for training rides
then pull off the easyboots afterward.  We did one 50 with them foamed on
prior to Tevis to make sure the longer than training ride distance did not
cause any problems. I opted for the double concussion protection of pads
plus easyboots since Tevis is one hard trail on the horse. It worked out
well for my horse as we were able to finish 8th and Steele was sound
throughout the ride.