Re: RC: Reply to rearing

Lif...

Well, 40 lashes with dental floss for me! <grin> You are, of course,
exactly right. My choice of words was inappropriate.  However, in SOME
cases, more than a "rap" is required. When I feel the horse is "invading
my space" to the point of endangering me, I will go after him hard
enough to make him think real hard about trying that again.....how much
I "tear up his front legs" (figuratively speaking, of course) <grin>
depends on how much he tries to "tear me up" or "run me over".

In cases where I am working with my own horses, or a horse where I have
plenty of time, you usually don't need ANY "correction" of this nature
and rearing is limited to just lifting both front feet a few inches in
frustration. I like to teach "give at the shoulder" and "go forward",
and "respect my space" intensely before asking for a "go forward" into a
trailer. The "give at the shoulder", if the horse does it consistently,
allows you to tip the horse's nose toward you and push him away with the
lead line when he tries to go between you and the trailer. I also use
the "go forward" cue IN the trailer.  I insist that he horse just stand
there when I open the trailer.  They do not come off until I ask.  It is
extremely dangerous to have a horse come off unexpectedly or fast. The
is an integral part of the John Lyons technique, since if he comes off,
I just ask him to get back on...until he stays there on his own. The
horse just decides, "Well, might as well stay here, it's comfortable, no
tapping, and he's just gonna put me right back on, anyway".

However, sometimes you don't have the option to set up the "best"
situation to make loading a Ho Hum and you don't know the horse.  Have
you ever been to a "horse event" when everyone is packing up on Sunday,
and someone has a horse who won't get on the trailer and a battle royal
ensues.  They want to go and the horse doesn't.  I've seen ropes across
the butt, through the trailer, whipping (literally), lounging in front
of the trailer, and all kinds of stuff you wouldn't believe. In a FEW
cases, three that I recall, (my memory is not what it used to be) I have
felt badly for the horse and volunteered to teach the horse to load on
the condition that they will stay until he will load easily, however
long that takes....and not just "get him on", slam the door and leave.
One of them agreed, then did that anyway.  I had a redneck "peanut
gallery" once after I had been working with a lady's horse for about
half an hour with no results. They were real quiet when 15 minutes later
he stepped quietly on the trailer of his own free will....and stayed
there with the door open.....and continued to do that for 12-15 times in
a row.

I've also helped people who came to ride with me and couldn't get their
horse to load when they were ready to go. (Must be Sunny's company)

I want my horses "conditioned" to load to the point I am SURE they will
get on..i.e. "go forward" into anything or onto anything, no matter what
or where.  Will your horse get on ANY trailer? Some won't. What if your
horse is pulled or injured at an Endurance ride somewhere out on the
trail and he won't get on the "hospital" trailer? It's a danger to me
AND my horse if I should encounter a situation where the horse "decides"
he will not get on and we could be injured.  For example, a breakdown,
accident, or other incident on the Interstate in traffic.  Try
"establishing a leadership connection" out there....say at night in the
rain. Just kidding, Marv...no offense intended! :)

Anyway, sorry for the poor choice of words....can you get this horse off
me now? I'm out of beer. <grin>

Jim and Sun of Dimanche

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland                 Phone:  (706) 258-2830
LANCONN, Inc.                            FAX:    (706) 632-1271