Re: RC: Reply to rearing

I'm have very little experience with this, but I offer the following
insight.

I have been involved with two horses that reared. Had a half
quarter/half thoroughbred mare who would rear when we went by the
driveway to the barn. (This was in my younger "cowboy" days) <grin).  I
got really pissed about this and cut a two foot section of closet rod.
Next time by she reared and I whacked her firmly between the ears with
the rod while she was in the air.  Went to her knees, got up, shook her
head and walked meekly on down the road and NEVER reared
again...couldn't GET her up under any circumstances.

Other one was a young horse...small. He would just rear on impulse in
the ring when he didn't like something. (Again in my younger days). I
got annoyed at his attitude and one day when he went up, I kicked my
feet out of the stirrups, rolled out of the saddle to the left and
pulled him over with the right rein.  Soon as he hit the ground, I sat
on his head so he couldn't get up......for half an hour....(or at least
three beers) <grin>  Again, never reared again....just pick up on the
rein and it was all over.

this is certainly not "natural horsemanship".  In my current enlightened
state, I would probably not use either of these solutions.  But on the
other hand, I try to stay away from horses with problems like this. I'm
too old to deal with this or get stomped on.  Horses with this problem
have had bad experiences in their life, were not taught proper ground
manners, or were born to be dog food.....no horse is worth getting hurt.
There are too many good ones out there.  In spite of my love for horses,
I understand that there are psychotic horses just like their are
psychotic people.  Unfortunately, we can't shoot the people.  (Think
Timothy McVeigh)

I have had numerous horses rear when teaching trailer loading. They will
rear to avoid the "go forward" into the trailer.  When that happens, you
go with them and just tear up their front legs below the knee with the
dressage whip.  Same as trying to go between you and the trailer. Only
takes a couple of times till they get over that and decide that's not an
option and look for something else....i.e.get on the trailer.

Whatever the solution, in my limited experience, you have to associate
"very bad things" happening with the rearing.  I am not a proponent of
"punishment".  I prefer to make it easy for the horse to do the right
thing.  However, this is an extremely dangerous problem, and needs to be
dealt with severely. Whatever you do, just be careful and don't get
hurt.  As John Lyons, says, first YOU must be safe.

Jim and Sun of Dimanche

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland                 Phone:  (706) 258-2830
LANCONN, Inc.                            FAX:    (706) 632-1271