Re: RC: Reply to rearing

At 06:08 PM 6/26/01, Jim wrote:
>I have had numerous horses rear when teaching trailer loading. They will
>rear to avoid the "go forward" into the trailer.  When that happens, you
>go with them and just tear up their front legs below the knee with the
>dressage whip.

Whooee, Jim.  Do that in front of me and I'll probably launch myself at
you, rip the whip out of your hand, throw you down on the ground and have
the horse sit on you for three beers worth of time.  And maybe when it gets
off of you, I'll look the other way if it steps on your foot.

Besides the fact that I don't believe whipping solves anything in any
*humane* manner, I can't exactly see how whipping a horse on the front legs
would  1) encourage it to go forward or 2) discourage it from rearing to
escape the pain.  All I see it as is gratuitous punishment which doesn't
even acknowledge that the horse has got some *issue* with loading, or that
the guilty party is actually the human who didn't properly trailer train
the horse in the first place.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RIDE June 8, 2002
* Distance Riding group/individual mentoring programs
* Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
* Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options