Re: Manners--was stereotypes

So what is the BEST way to retrain a horse who likes to snatch his foot away
from the farrier?  I have one of those.  I trim him most of the year and
he's wonderful for just trimming, whether I trim him or a farrier trims him
(natural trims took me about an hour when I first started, he can be very
patient).  He has been thoroughly checked by the vet and x-rayed, no obvious
problems & he's never been lame so I don't think it's a pain issue - perhaps
in the past he was hot-nailed?.  I always tap his hooves when I clean them
but that's not enough to desensitize him for shoeing.

Today he got his first set of shoes for the season, and we put a lip chain
on him for lack of any other solution.  I never jerked it, just slowly
snugged it up a little when he started to get in a pulling snit with the
farrier and that's enough distraction to make him stand nice - and it's
immediately loosened when was being good.  I don't want this horse hurt, but
he's dangerous when he's being a jerk about his feet when a nail is sticking
out.  I don't want my farrier or equine to get ripped up.  Is thoughful use
of a lip chain OK in this situation?  Is this appropriate use?  Is there a
better way?

Happy trails -

Michelle
(Colorado)