Manners--was stereotypes

>But I doubt that anyone but the most experience handler
>and the calmest horse would allow a chain to only apply enough pressure to
>release endorphins and not make a mess of the gums and freak the horse out
>more as you suspected.

Actually, it's not too hard at all to apply subtle pressure with a lip
chain. Anyone who has to make a mess of the gums  in using one isn't
skilled enough to use it--sort of like a spade bit or spurs or any other  tool.

And while the farrier mentioned earlier sounds a bit hasty, there are an
awful lot of folks  who make excuses for ill trained spoiled horses, then
get all riled up when the farrier/vet/dentist/chiro, etc.  expect them to
behave.

Wake up, guys. Unless you're paying us to train your horse, it's your
responsibility to present us with one that is already trained. No equine
professional can afford to get hurt by someone's spoiled pet and be out of
work.

Fortunately most of us with a DVM can use drugs instead of training, but
I've run across a few that came close to hurting me before I could get the
chemical restraint on board.

If you don't do your homework, IMHO you have no grounds for objecting when
we  use what techniques are necessary to get our job done.

I have  spent extra time working on  getting  horses who've had a bad
experience or three to come around to the idea that I'm not the Devil
Incarnate, but that's    different from a  horse who has no respect for
humans because they've been allowed to walk all over  them. Those are the
most dangerous variety.
                                          --CMNewell, DVM