Final response

Let me ask you, Darolyn, and the other busy-bodies intent on bringing this
person down--for whatever motive--what if you're dead wrong? Would that make
a difference at all to you? Or is it just the thrill of the hunt of a pack of
jackals that has meaning to you--if this one gets away, you'll find another
stray? Are you going to give us a big abject and humble apology like whats
her name did, or are you just going to ignore the damage you've done to an
honest and intelligent man?

What if you're wrong? What if you actually found out the facts and it turned
out that you were wrong? So far, all you've done is run around quacking to
one another, spreading what have to be lies just on the basis that you don't
know this guy, don't know his horse, and have not communicated with him
closely over the past year.

Far more has gone between Bill and I than has appeared on my list. We worked
together in private and it was my suggestion, not his, that he let people
follow along with his training protocols on the list. By the way, have any of
you bothered to actually read what he has written, from the beginning? Have
you read the experiments that didn't work? Have you watched him adjust his
protocols? I'm certain you haven't seen his day to day training plan, page
after page, leading into 2002. I'm certain too that you haven't seen his vet
check cards. When then have you seen that convinces you that this guys must
be burned at the stake for the good of humankind?

His workouts? A couple of them, laid out on the list? Are those unbelievable?
I can tell you, for sure, that they are nothing compared to what's going on
elsewhere. Bill's just getting started. So, are these frightening enough that
you have to publicly trash the man?

You mentioned the details of his trailer rollover as being unbelievable. To
whom? The accident investigators? Are you checking with the hospital where
he's getting his knee replaced right now? Or are you just assuming you know
something you don't and deciding, for whatever reason, to trash the guy?

Some of you dullards have suggested that I'm trying to save my credibility in
defending Bill. Or, of all things, I'm worried about giving my products a bad
rep. This is probably the stupidest part of your little forays into
fantasyland. All along I've recommended someone else's glycogen loader,
Vita-Flex's CarboCharge, in discussions of carb supplementing. I've given
away more product to Ridecampers than I'll ever sell because, to be honest,
you guys don't have the money--endurance is not a market for me. I deal with
racehorses and am only helping one client in endurance--on a consulting
basis. If that client wants to use other products, it makes absolutely no
difference to me.

I was curious about a new product I'd developed for racehorses and Bill, and
many others, got free samples--an entire shipment of the stuff--just to see
what it did. I told them all to report back their findings on my list--good
or bad. Play with it, try in in different combinations and dosages and report
back. Bill gave the most detailed reports, but they mirrored the other
reports--nothing unusual about his experience except that he took the time to
write detailed reports. I appreciated that. He went so far as to carry out
experiments that others suggested might be interesting, among those requests
were some from Eleanor Kellon. He dutifully carried them out.

My credibility? Hey, I'm just as stupid as the next guy. The difference
between you and I, though, is that I want to learn. The real thing, Just the
facts. Not religions of various types--just the real stuff. What works and
what doesn't. And I want those facts to be well-documented. Bill's facts are
well-documented. That they seem incredulous to you doesn't bother me at
all--I just put it down to foggy thinking on your part--you have an agenda
that fascinates you far more than the facts. Different strokes for different
folks.

Credibility. Good lord.  I'm approaching 60 years old. I'm made. I'm done. At
this point I'm completely free to please no one but myself, my wife and my
two dogs. And if any of you have ever read one of my books, you'll know that
popularity was never one of my goals.

But still, in your abject stupidity, you've gone ahead and assigned these
motives to me--because they reflect your own needs. It's you who want to be
popular; it's you who have products to sell to endurance people, it's you who
strive to be authoritative and demonstrate your know-all. And meanwhile,
you're falling for every genuine hoax in the book.  Hey, have at it--I just
want to exchange solid information to the 2% of you who know what you're
talking about.

Biltmore was a revelation to me. Touted as one of the top US rides. I've been
to a few smaller rides in the US and to several overseas. Up to half the
horses walked out of their trailers lame.  And I learned what "to finish is
to win" means. It means, to finish you'll do just about anything to your
horses just to get those miles into the books. You bring an unfit, unready
horse to a big ride and keep on going with him until he needs IVs to stay
alive. Give me a break! This is professionalism at the top of a sport?  It
seemed to me, the bigger the "name" the more trouble they were in before the
race even started.  I don't know the winner--but he definitely had a horse
that was ready. Winners often deserve to win.

So, I can understand why many of you are very sensitive about "reputation".
It's a sore point--like the preacher who's having an affair on the side. You
say one thing and you do another. You have to point the finger at somebody
else. And, this time, you just happened to stumble on a victim who is a
friend of mine.  Not only that, but your sanctimonious supposed motivations
are transparently false, as anyone with any sense can see.  And to top it
off, you're dead wrong. Not that it matters to you at all. Jack Nicholson
should have subtracted "honor", along with "logic and accountability".

To conclude: except for what you're trying to do to Bill Proctor, I don't
give a damn. Before any one of you ever asks anything from me again, let me
just preempt that request with "shove it".  He's a friend. He's telling the
truth. Those who say he is lying are liars themselves. They're much worse
than liars. They're trying to crush someone who is doing things they can't
wrap their little minds around.

My company will no longer sell anything to a Ridecamper--only to those
endurance people on my list--and I'm in the process of eliminating all the
idiots from that list. There will be no further giveaways, no help, and no
discussion from me on Ridecamp. You deserve each other.

Tom Ivers, President
Equine Racing Systems, Inc.
 <A HREF="http://www.equineracing.com/">ERS Home Page</A>

To sign up for the horsescience mailing list: