whipes, spurs and FEI endurance

  The decision by the fEI to ban the use of whips and spurs
is another instance of how people don't want to be forced to
exercise any discretion.  As another poster pointed out, the
existing FEI rules against cruely should have made a specific
ban on spurs and crops unnecessary... ASSUMING the powers that
be have the cajones to challenge an rider and stick by their
guns as to what 'excessive means'.  This means those calling
the shots need to trust their own judgment, and those competing
need to accept the judgement of those in charge.  Unfortunately
many prefer to enforce un-ambiguous rules even if they are
silly: I can definitively state 'yes you are wearing spurs'
or 'no you are not wearing spurs'.  Its harder to definitely
state 'You are using your spurs excessively or injuriously'
or 'You are using your spurs in an acceptable manner': that
requires a judgement call, and people just don't like having to
make them.  I think the most potentially injurious peice of
equipment a rider uses (an probably the most often abused) is a
bit.  Will  that be the next ban?

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag