Re: RC: Rearing

As your friend has already discovered, rearing is EXTREMELY dangerous.
Riding a rear can be really tricky, because the first impulse is to pull
back, which can put the horse over backward on top of the rider.  If I were
going to tackle another horse that reared, (did once--a paint mare)  I would
go somewhere the footing is good, and its is open and flat.  No sense taking
more chances than you have to until you get the problem worked out (if it can
be).  When the horse starts to rear, you have to make it go forward.  Rearing
is a failure of forward motion.  I leaned forward a LITTLE, in order to
weight her forehand, and drove her on with either my heels or a whip (little
spanker--just a couple of taps to ask for forward.)    I also would turn the
rearing horse in a circle if it wouldn't jump forward.  Obviously you have to
have a lot of confidence that you can stay in balance with the horse before
you try to correct a rearing horse.

I also have a noise I make whenever a horse I'm working with does something I
don't want it to do--AAH AAH very sharp.  It usually gets their attention
back on you.  It also lets them know before you have to discipline them that
they did something unacceptable.  Most of the horses I have worked with
caught on real quick and would quit doing the action just with the sound if
it was something minor that they were just testing me about.

If your friend is a good rider, she may be ok, but sometimes when a person
gets hurt, they have a little residual fear that the horse can sense.  It
might be better if your friend had someone else work with the horse to try to
solve the problem.  She could end up making the situation worse, and getting
hurt again.  OF COURSE SHE ALWAYS WEARS A HELMET WHEN SHE RIDES THIS
HORSE--RIGHT?  Good luck  jeri