RE: Re: Polish vs Egyptian and sidepulls (unrelated)

>How does a
> person tell if an Arab is of Polish or Egyptian descent?  I have the
papers
> on my guy but the names mean absolutely nothing.  The previous owner said
> he's Polish, and I have no reason to doubt her, but it got me to
wondering.

Post his pedigree here and you will most likely get the answer youi're
looking for.>>>

PASB in the pedigree is a horse registered in Poland.  I don't know what it
would be
specifically for Egyptian, but I've seen pedigrees that said something
like "desert bred".  Absence of either in the pedigree does not mean that
they are not Polish or Egyptian bred.  It just means that they were not
registered in that specific foreign studbook.

Sometimes it gets a little confusing when you get horses like Nazeer in
the pedigree.  This is an "Egyptian" horse, and somehow I think he got
around
and shows up in a lot of European derived pedigrees.

> Second- I've been reading with interest the thread on sidepulls, and think
> might like to try one, but how would a person stop a run-away horse when
> using a sidepull or other bitless bridle?>
> Dede
> Central CA

<<<<1st thing to realize is that you won't stop a runaway horse by pulling
back
on the riens no matter what you have in his mouth or around his nose.  To
stop a runaway, you need to take the forward out of him by reaching down as
close as you can to his mouth/nose with one hand on one rein and pull his
head sidways so his nose is comming around to your knee.  He has to follow
his nose, so cannot continue to go hell bent forward.  Now, do use caution
and don't pull so hard so fast that you throw his balance off and crash.
Best thing to do is to teach him that when you bring his nose around it
means to just 'quit'.

  It's one of the suggestions in the Pat Parelli method.  Now,
even my babies know before they know much else that if mom grabs one rein to
turn my head in it means stop and just 'quit'.>>>>>

My youngster just started under saddle will tell *ME* when to quit
by bringing his head around and nibbling on my toes!

The other important point in the Pat Parelli method is that you are
also disengaging the hindquarters at the same time.  Sometimes that
means leg pressure or "eye pressure".  I would practice disengaging
hindquarters on the ground and under saddle, because there is a certain
timing involved.  I know of someone who had her mare continue galloping
with her nose bent all the way to her body.  I guess because she
didn't disengage her hindquarters, I don't know, wasn't there- but I
bet that's what happened.

I'm not a believer of the body will follow
the nose thing because I've seen too many so called "John Lyons" trained
people using too much rein pressure and never getting out of the round
pen because of lack of control.  I really don't think that this was John
Lyon's
intent, but this is how it translated to some people - and these people
haven't really gotten to the point where they can figure out that their
body gives signals, too.  So they clutch with their legs and seat, the horse
goes
forward, then they pull their nose around and the poor horse doesn't
know whether they are coming or going and these people think their
horse's have behaviour problems when in fact the horse is just confused.

Kathy