Re: Polish vs Egyptian and sidepulls (unrelated)

How does a
> person tell if an Arab is of Polish or Egyptian descent?  I have the
papers
> on my guy but the names mean absolutely nothing.  The previous owner said
> he's Polish, and I have no reason to doubt her, but it got me to
wondering.

Post his pedigree here and you will most likely get the answer youi're
looking for.

> Second- I've been reading with interest the thread on sidepulls, and think
> might like to try one, but how would a person stop a run-away horse when
> using a sidepull or other bitless bridle?

1st thing to realize is that you won't stop a runaway horse by pulling back
on the riens no matter what you have in his mouth or around his nose.  To
stop a runaway, you need to take the forward out of him by reaching down as
close as you can to his mouth/nose with one hand on one rein and pull his
head sidways so his nose is comming around to your knee.  He has to follow
his nose, so cannot continue to go hell bent forward.  Now, do use caution
and don't pull so hard so fast that you throw his balance off and crash.
Best thing to do is to teach him that when you bring his nose around it
means to just 'quit'.  We do this with suppling/streaching exercises before
every ride.  It's one of the suggestions in the Pat Parelli method.  Now,
even my babies know before they know much else that if mom grabs one rein to
turn my head in it means stop and just 'quit'.