Polish vs Egyptian and sidepulls (unrelated)

I have two questions.  The first is about Arabs. I've only been an owner of
an Arabian for a year and a half now so keep that in mind.  How does a
person tell if an Arab is of Polish or Egyptian descent?  I have the papers
on my guy but the names mean absolutely nothing.  The previous owner said
he's Polish, and I have no reason to doubt her, but it got me to wondering.

Second- I've been reading with interest the thread on sidepulls, and think I
might like to try one, but how would a person stop a run-away horse when
using a sidepull or other bitless bridle?  My horse has never run away , but
if spooked badly enough, who knows?  Can you double around without a bit?
Thanks!

Dede
Central CA