bonescans again

Tiffany tiffshorse@mindspring.com
>>Do horses get bad allergic reactions like people do?

Not that I've seen (I havent seen tons of them), but possible.  I don't think horses get allergic reactions to iodine nearly as often as people do.<<
 There is NO iodine in a bone scan dose. We use very little iodine in Nucs. Mostly for thyroid or renal scanning.

>>What are alternatives that other people have tried?

Radiographs, ultrasound, scintigraphy....what are you trying to find out?<<
Scintigraphy IS nuclear medicine. I do know they perform scans at Santa Anita. Sorry to correct you, but there are so many myths about nucs out there... Also even in the scans we use iodine in, there is less in the dose than in a slice of bread. Different for treatment of thyroid cancer, of course. They do get a large dose. Usually nucs are used in conjunction with xray, CT, or MRI as a "piece of the puzzle". Rarely will a scan be used as the lone diagnostic study.
Tiffany