Re: RC:was Sam Update!-- now--Wound Treatment

Hi Karen
Went to the web site--- impressive. Sounds a lot like the Horseman's
Dream, which also has Aloe Vera and vitamins. I use that for scrapes and
to promote new hair growth. My question to the vets on-line-- would
Schreiners have enough antibacterial action to stop an infection in very
deep cuts/puncture wounds or would you have to use in conjunction with a
traditional antibiotic--- either topical or internal (eg SMZ's)?
Also an old-time track vet of mine shoots Dry Clox (the stuff you shoot
into cows' teats when you want them to dry up; it prevents infection)
right into a puncture wound and swears by it; my other more recently
graduated vet said that this was one of those old time cowboy remedies
and said the only effective antibiotic for deep cuts and puncture wounds
would be internal--- he used SMZs--- any reactions from the vets here?
This is a really important thread to me because I hate to call a vet
everytime one of my critters decides to do something stupid. It's almost
as though they have a deal with the local DVM to put his kids through
college (hypnotic suggestion?).
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov
(Yes, really 16.2!)
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com