Sam Update! :)

For the last week or so I've been working my tail off
more than I have in quite a while. The barn is cleaned
up all nice and spotless at least every other day,
Sam's bandages are changed everyother day, while being
rinsed with iodine and then having neosporin applied.
One thing I've learned- by your vet wrap when its on
sale- and lots of it!! If you just by it about 10
roles at a time- it gets spendy! ;)

The cut on the upper, outer right leg is looking
really good. The vet (Tina- god bless her!) doesn't
think he is going to lose any skin here. On the inside
of the right leg, around the knee joint, the skin is
scabby and pussy- to be expected- but there is no
infection and its the typical wound smell. The lower
cut is yucky looking- she pulled off some of the dead
skin- but he didn't even flinch- Sam is such a good
boy!

On the left leg- Sam's Coronet band is looking great!
unfortunatly- that cut about 3 inches above it isn't
looking so wonderful. Just as sore as heck- and he's
going to have some proud flesh- yuck! Tina says we
will probably be doing some trimming of the "dead"
proud flesh next monday (a week from today).

He still gets his 14 pills of antibiotics twice a day
in his grain. The first few days he didn't like being
lokced in a stall. He broke one huge water bucket- and
two 5 gallon buckets. Finally he has settled down is
quite at home- relaxed- woohoo!! Its a concrete floor
w/ rubber matts on it, covered in straw. I hose it out
about every  or 5 days- but the urine still smells
something fierce!

People ask me what my interests are- what I do for
fun- in my spare time- or they suggest that I get a
life. A life- what life? My life IS taking care of my
horses, my dogs, going to 4-H meetings and teaching
the younger members, going to school, keeping up on
homework, and trying to help my family out as much as
I can. Spring Break is next week and 6 people are
coming to stay with us. Whoa are we going to have a
full house- plus my 4 family members including myself.

Its a mad rush to keep the horses up, healthy, clean,
and happy- while trying to get the house clean and
homework- whoa! I don't know what the other teenagers
have to complain about! Oh the poor things- their
parent's cut their phone time down from 4 hours a day
to 2 hours. How painful!
Telephone? Its not for fun communication! Its only use
is to communicate w/ the vet and mom or dad when they
need to pick up more medical or horse supplies from
the feed store.

Television? What is watching TV shows? All I ever
watch is Horse TV, animal planet, or some horse movie-
okay- so I really don't have a life- but I'm happy the
way I live!  (When I have time to watch tv, lol)

The farrier will be out next weekend. I'm pulling
Sam's shoes and he will be barefooting it for a while.
Its not like he can exercise anyway. THunder has
already pretty much lost of his winter coat, as the
weather has been in the 40's and 50's. Sam has been
wearing a blanket all week, as he is on complete stall
rest (we all know that exercise can make proud flesh a
lot worse than it would be if they are locked up).

Thunder needs a trim and new shoes pretty badly- but
its been so hectic lately whenever I remember to call
him its either way too early in the morning or way too
late at night.  I'm going to call him as soon as I'm
finished posting this- and I've got to remember more
grain, vet wrap, duck tape, gauze, cotton, and
neosporin. (The essentials of life: duck tape, vet
wrap, and bailing twine!)

The dog show went awsome- had a blast- maybe I can get
caught up on some sleep tonight. I wanted to this
weekend- but the dog show and horses took it all up-
but I had fun anyway! :) 5:00 am comes all to early in
the morning!

Thats about all I can think of right now. If anything
changes, or anything more exciting happens, I'll let
ya'll know. Oh- we started the new term for school
today- I love my classes- hopefully straight A's this
term!

Take care, and happy trails to all!! Be safe and
happy.....

Kelsey
Horse master of my household (okay, so I'm just a
lowly horse servant- but I can dream, LMBO! ;) )
Dog trainer and expert (well, I exercise them, and
make them have manners, and look pretty in the
showmanship ring, and answer to everyone of their beck
and calls- but I LOVE DOING IT!! )

=====