re:bone scans

Tiffany tiffshorse@mindspring.com
>>Has anyone out there ever had a bone scan done on a horse.  I am fully aware of what it entails when scanning a human.   But I wonder, where does a horse get a scan at? Do they use radionucleids? Do horses get bad allergic reactions like people do?  Is this an extremely expensive procedure?  What are alternatives that other people have tried?  I am very unknowledgeable about  the whole idea, and wonder if anyone would like to share their experiences.  Beth<<
hi-still can't post under my acct. Anyway, I am a nuclear technologist. So, to clear up a myth, allergic reactions to Tc99m MDP (what we inject for a bone scan) is unheard of. There is NOTHING in it to cause a reaction. Mostly inert ingredients and some saline. They use the same radionuclides as in people. They usually use a portable nuc med camera, and the scan is exactly the same as for a human. I haven't scanned a horse, but have scanned a dog with malignant melanoma. The cost is probably prohibitive for most people, and you will need x-rays to go along with the scan. Hope this helps-lemme know if you have any other questions.
Tiffany