Re: RC: Re: bone scans

At 8:30 PM -0700 3/19/01, Susan Garlinghouse wrote:

>Has anyone out there ever had a bone scan done on a horse.  I am
>fully aware of what it entails when scanning a human.   But I
>wonder, where does a horse get a scan at?
>
>UC Davis for you or *maybe* some of the big clinics.  Not a mobile
>practice kind of thing.  You might check with your vet about the
>track equine hospital at Santa Anita, they might do them there, or
>possibly Los Alamitos.

Closer to her would be San Luis Rey, they offer nuclear scintigraphy.
Is that equivalent to a bone scan, SuG?  I'll bet they do it at Alamo
Pintado, too.

>  Do they use radionucleids?
>
>Yup, usually.
>
>Do horses get bad allergic reactions like people do?
>
>Not that I've seen (I havent seen tons of them), but possible.  I
>don't think horses get allergic reactions to iodine nearly as often
>as people do.
>

>  Is this an extremely expensive procedure?
>
>It's relative for what you get, but it aint cheap and requires a day
>or two at the clinic to clear the rads.  I really don't know about
>cost, because I've never been involved in that end of it.

Depends what you're scanning, friends that have had it done have had
it cost from $750 to $1K.  Clearing the rads, boy did I laugh when I
learned that they  have to do special disposal of radioactive poop.

Lynne
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) Sept 1, 2001