Re: bone scans

Hi!
So.... can you please tell me what I reacted to horrendously years ago in
NYC when I had iodine or whatever dye injected for one of those brain
"pictures'?  Reaction: extreme swelling of face.  Thank goodness there
was no swelling in the throat.  This was a clinic on Park Avenue South
that specialized in this sort of thing and all they did was a
wait-and-see and never even tried a contraindication (is that the correct
word?)  A neurologist friend said that an iodine reaction is fairly
common - about 1 in 40 - should have been an immediately available IV of
whatever.  What's you take on this?

Thanks for any info!
Karen

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:32:16 -0800 "guest@endurance.net"
<guest@endurance.net> writes:
>Tiffany tiffshorse@mindspring.com
>>>Has anyone out there ever had a bone scan done on a horse.  I am
>fully aware of what it entails when scanning a human.   But I wonder,
>where does a horse get a scan at? Do they use radionucleids? Do horses
>get bad allergic reactions like people do?  Is this an extremely
>expensive procedure?  What are alternatives that other people have
>tried?  I am very unknowledgeable about  the whole idea, and wonder if
>anyone would like to share their experiences.  Beth<<
>hi-still can't post under my acct. Anyway, I am a nuclear
>technologist. So, to clear up a myth, allergic reactions to Tc99m MDP
>(what we inject for a bone scan) is unheard of. There is NOTHING in it
>to cause a reaction. Mostly inert ingredients and some saline. They
>use the same radionuclides as in people. They usually use a portable
>nuc med camera, and the scan is exactly the same as for a human. I
>haven't scanned a horse, but have scanned a dog with malignant
>melanoma. The cost is probably prohibitive for most people, and you
>will need x-rays to go along with the scan. Hope this helps-lemme know
>if you have any other questions.
>Tiffany

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.