bone scans

Tiffany D`Virgilio tiffshorse@mindspring.com
So.... can you please tell me what I reacted to horrendously years ago in
NYC when I had iodine or whatever dye injected for one of those brain
"pictures'?  Reaction: extreme swelling of face.  Thank goodness there
was no swelling in the throat.  This was a clinic on Park Avenue South
that specialized in this sort of thing and all they did was a
wait-and-see and never even tried a contraindication (is that the correct
word?)  A neurologist friend said that an iodine reaction is fairly
common - about 1 in 40 - should have been an immediately available IV of
whatever.  What's you take on this?<<<

Ok-Not in nuclear, but in radiology, which could be CT, MRI or xray, they used to use iodinated contrast media to enhance certain portions of the anatomy. There is alot of iodine in the contrast and poeple DO react to this. That is why about 10 years ago, they started making non-iodianted contrast. Too many people were having mild to severe reactions, ranging from rashes to much worse. Never in Nuclear Medicine, but definitely in radiology. (I am a radiologic technologist as well). Hope this helps clear that one up. Tiff