Re: RC: multiday rides:

Here is a post from Bev Gray about multidays (it's on the endurance.net
page):  http://www.endurance.net/Stories/ShowStory.asp?Counter=170     We
could all learn a lot from Bev, she's a great rider with equally great
horses.

>How do you do a point to point ride without crew?

You get up earlier than everybody else and pack up your rig and hand the
keys over to some stranger <G>.

>Do you find that the ride managers are willing to help move your rig
>(with or without a fee)

Yes, you can ask them ahead of time -- or -- it's often included in the
ride information when they send you the entry form.

>How much water do you try to carry in your rigs?

That all depends on how many horses you have....generally I figure on at
least 20 gallons per day per horse.  You may need more than that depending
on how hot it is (how much you have to cool, etc.).  I never go anywhere
without 65 to 85 gallons of horse water.

>Would you suggest a loop ride for persons going on their first multi
>(with no crew) Can you list some of these loop rides?

I don't think it matters what you do first -- so long as you think you've
got a horse ready -- just jump right in and go to one :+).   I like the
point to point rides actually the best, they are the best adventure goin'
-- tho some that stay in the same camp like the June XP are also really
great rides too.

>How many of you had saddle or shoeing problems along the way?

No saddle problems, and I use easyboots so no shoeing problems.  Though you
can expect to encounter a variety of surprises along the way.  That's how
you learn, and what makes doing multidays so much fun :+).

>What was your worst case and best case senario in these circumstances?

Best case is try and find a friend (or make one!) to ride with that has
done the ride before.  Worst case is you have to develop a better sense of
humor.  Things don't always go as planned, you've gotta have a sense of
humor and be willing to adapt and improvise.

>In other words were there farriers on hand or people to help with saddle
>padding
>or different saddle altogether.

Get some easyboots and make sure your saddle and pad works out on several
50's ahead of time.  Usually can you can find somebody to nail a shoe back
on if you need it.  My easyboots always outlast metal shoes, so I'm kinda
partial to using them (and have been using them on all 4's lately).

>I noticed that the horse that won the Shore to Shore had to change saddle
>to complete
>all 5 days. Is this normal (having to change saddles).

I don't think so, most people I know stay in the same saddle.  I was once
told that if I wanted to know if my saddle (and tack) really fit that I
should ride the horse 1,000+ miles in a single season in it.  That's how I
know it works. (done it three times now)   I don't think anybody really
knows that until they go to that much extreme.

>Should one plan on
>bringing
>all the saddles in the tack room (VBG)

It never hurts to have a backup plan if you aren't absolutely sure that
your saddle is going to work.  It does help to have extra girths, and maybe
a spare pad or two.  You've got to keep everything clean....and don't
forget to bring desetin.  Duct tape is a must, and I've even found a few
uses for silicone <G>.  Good luck :+)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV