Re: RC: AERC Revenue/Expense (was: Happy New Year)

In a message dated 01/03/2001 5:22:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I will preface everything that I say with this statement:
 If the AERC raises it single membership dues, I will not join.

 So, now everybody knows where I am coming from, and know what my
 priorities are in how to improve the AERC's Revenue/Expense imbalance.

 The Endurance News (EN)

 I have already said a bit of my piece about the EN, and its, what I
 consider to be its absurd, shift from a B&W newsletter to an attempt to
 become a "premier color magazine." I know a thing or two about the
 difference in cost and effort between producing an informative black &
 white newsletter and a quality color magazine, and if the rest of the
 membership of the AERC wants to raise the dues that I have to pay to
 ride my horse in endurance so that they can get a slick color magazine,
 I can only say, "shame on them." >>

I cannot speak from the standpoint of a member faced with annual membership
renewal, since we became lifetime members many years ago.  But I personally
LOVE the new glossy paper, color format of the Endurance News.  I'm so very
proud of the advancement made in its production, and I would miss the
improvement sorely if we went back to the old newspaper format.  I believe
our organization deserves to be represented by a better quality publication
than newsprint.
As far as awards are concerned, if I were to be a winner of a national award,
I would be thrilled to pieces by a classy sweatshirt with my and my horse's
name silkscreened on it. Example: we offer a 100-mile Ride & Tie with our
Swanton Pacific 100 each year. One of our daughters devoted to R&T selects
the awards each year and has them silk screened.  I saw one of these down at
Death Valley ride last week, being worn by its proud owner.  It is charcoal
grey with a plaid collar and a short zipper.  It is silk screened with the
ride logo on the back and the team's names and overall time on the front
left.  Something like this could be done for much less cost than jackets or
Polarfleece vests (though those would be classy, too).  Belt buckles and
horse blankets are the most costly, if I recall from my search for ride
awards.  I'm a great believer in finding the classiest award possible for the
least amount of money. And a shrewd shopper can find things that only LOOK
expensive, without actually being so. ALL of our members receive the
Endurance News, but only a few receive year-end awards.  I'd hate to see the
reduction in quality be placed on the entity that all members receive.  I
also would hate to see an increase in individual dues.  Perhaps a more
equitable balance between the dues of the individual and the family is in
order.

Barbara