Re: RC: Rails-to-trails

MBlanchrd@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, Campers,
>
> I have an spur of the Burlington-Northern that was donated to the Rails-to-Trails thing. The local officials made a big to do about it, including an article in the paper. It said that the trail was going to be left gravelled for "bikers and hikers". I called the so called rep for Rails to Trails and asked, what about horses, are there any plans to make it accessible to horses?
> The woman on the phone said, "Well, we're leaving it graveled, anybody can ride on it." I told her that gravel and horses don't mix very well, and was there any plan to bare a strip so that horses could travel on something other than gravel. She said, and I quote, "Oh, I am so tired of you horse people always wanting us to change everything just for you." and hung up.
>
> I remember that conversation every time I get another Rails-To-Trails begging letter in the mail. And I throw the damn stuff into the recycle bin.

Michelle,

I have a railroad just 2 miles down the road they have just removedthe
ties from and have left a fairly nice bed of level gravel. I rode about
8 miles of it the other day and I liked it and so did Fly Bye. I checked
his feet a couple times to be sure he didn't pick up any chunks in his
shoes, but they were clean as a whistle.

I think it's pretty neat actually cause I don't have to contend
w/traffic this way and the concussion I would get from the road isn't a
factor now.
I've got steel shoes/shocktamers on him with borium spots. I'm just
elated that they have done this. The only down side to this is the track
bed is very level and flat, so hill work will have to be done elsewhere.
It will be difficult to do much interval training on it, at least at an
advanced level.

I say go for it and have fun. Take advantage of the opportunity.

Susan and Fly Bye