Re: Tieing up

Heather,
We don't have the luxury of good turnout here and my mare Dorika was prone
to tying up big time (nervous mare, low selenium) so she was out working
every single day or someone died. If I couldn't get out there to ride her, I
paid someone to take her out for 45 min - hour....but that's plenty of time
in our deep sand. The few times she's had to be kept in for illness or
injury (like now!) her feed goes way down, she's out in a small turnout to
avoid stupidity on her part, and she'll take a good 3 weeks of walking in
the desert to get back to work, along with her selenium supplement. So far
it's worked. Haven't had any problems with her being sidelined with the
sesamoid, but as yet she's not working and won't be for months. I just vary
the type, length, and difficulty of workouts. An hour's walk is the basic
and it goes up from there.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg