Re: RC: Tieing up

In a message dated 2/18/00 9:50:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< Are you saying that she should be worked every day?  If this is the case
why
 should she tie-up now rather than say 2 months ago, because her work routine
 has always been like this.  Or is it something to do with her being fitter?>

Yes, fitness. Probably has to do with stored muscle glycogen.

 >Sometimes I find training horses for endurance somewhat confusing.  For a
 long time I've understood that once horses are legged up its not necessary
 to "train" them everyday.  Certainly I don't know many endurance riders in
 France who ride their horses everyday.>

That informatino is ancient and incorrect (that fitness lasts forever). In
most horses it is not necessary to train every day, but the fitter they get,
the more consistent the daily exercise should be. In a very fit horse, two or
three days "off" can be big trouble. When a horse goes into the syndrome,
then daily, fuel-depleting  exercise is necessary for a while.

 >However when I visited Meg Wade in Australia she explained that her horses
 work 7/7. They are either trained, ponied (either from another horse or off
 the back of a quad bike) or just hacked out every single day.  She seems to
 have good results so perhaps this is the way to go.  What do you think?>

More, properly "periodized" (easy days hard days), is better.

ti

 Keen to learn and not keen to repeat this experience because this is
 potentially a good mare.

 Heather
 France