Re: RC: Tieing up

In a message dated 2/18/00 2:22:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< -  Are heavily muscled horses more prone to this sort of problem (I know
this sounds like a dumb question......)
 -  I possibly didn't warm her up sufficiently on this occasions, normally I
walk for 15-20 mins.  Could this have caused the attack?
 -  Have been experimenting with 4-point shoeing which doesn't seem really to
be working for this mare.  Puffy feltock joints after training.  Now re-shod
normally but this could anticipation of continual joint discomfort have
caused an attack? >>

1) Maybe. In humans there is a condition called "compartmental syndrome".
This occurs when the muscle swells faster than the fascia enclosing
it--usually due to trauma. In this case, the muscle is squeezed upon itself,
circulation is lost, and massive muscle cell death occurs. The kind of tying
up you're describing here directly parallels that human pathology.

2) Actually, when we've had horses in the "syndrome" (tying up everyday) one
of the ways we used to use to break out of it was no warmup at all--going
right to hard work with no warmup. This was often successful.

3) Discomfort due to shoeing or other causes might play a part. But the real
cause appears to be incosistent daily workload--the fitter they get, the more
youmust ensure daily draw-down of muscle glycogen.

ti