Re: RC: DNA testing update

In a message dated 2/9/00 8:18:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL writes:

<< By the same science that you quoted about humans in which 40% of athletic
performance is attributed to genetics--it is my understanding that the same
is true for horses.  All the quoted research says is that there is sufficient
genetic overlap among animals that have not "separated" as recently as horse
breeds that you cannot say with certainty that this *IS* a TB and that *IS*
an Arab, and be 100% certain.  If you doubt the validity of dealing with
genetics, I'd refer you straight to the scientists such as the
Bowlings--since you prefer the literature, better go straight to the horse's
mouth, so to speak.

 Heidi >>

40% of performance in humans is attributed to qualities present at
birth--genetically delivered, but not genetically known. Not remotely.
Hundreds of physiological attributes, controlled by thousands of combinations
of genes. Since you seem to have the lock on the science of genetics as it
applies to breeding performance horses, I'm surprised that you were not
invited to the Long Island symposium on the subject. the scientists there,
Nobel Prize winners among them, were at a complete loss to suggest any
scientific genetic basis for breeding superior equine athletes. I'm stunned
that the informatin you have was not trotted out on the first day. Would have
saved us all a lot of time.

So, just out of curiosity, what are the specific genes you think you're
manipulating in your breeding program? Feel free to cite the Bowlings, or
anyone else who will validate your claims. Once you've done so, I will report
back to the symposium participants and the whole problem will be solved,
saving many millions of dollars in just completing the equine genome alone.
Why bother when we already have a geneticist who has read the Bowlings and
has the answer in hand?

Or, are you bullshitting us again? I don't doubt the validity of the science
of genetics--just your interpretations and extrapolations therefrom--and the
stuff you pull out of thin air, which is always entertaining.

ti

Winners are made, not born.