Re: RC: DNA testing update

Hi Tom
I took your comment as obviously tongue-in-cheek since you have said
that when you look at race winners, there are not often surprises in the
bloodlines, just that it is impossible to predict from same (see, I'm a
good student). Now I have a question for you. My vet, who worked at the
racetrack (you probably know him-- Gary Gordon--had some winning quarter
horse, too) said that Seattle Slew (I might be spelling it wrong but you
know who I mean) had a terrible toeing out which gave him a substantial
paddle, hence his name. Didn't seem to stop him from being one of the
all time greats. Now Gary said that he passed on his conformational
"defect" to his offspring which turned many people off to them at the 2
year old sales until they were beaten by these offspring: then they
became sought after. Now if they could win with this less than perfect
conformation then I've heard this is due to the "speed gene". Has anyone
to your knowledge been able to isolate this, as they have color genes,
or is it a myth? If so, why are some bloodlines statistically more
successful in flat racing than others? Even when put through the same
training regimen.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!