Re: Long toe, low heel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abby Bloxsom" <goneriding@snet.net>
> My preferred solution to the underrun heel problem is to shoe full &
> wide from the quarters back, with plenty of heel behind the foot ("put
> the shoe where you want the foot to grow").  You can prevent losing the
> front shoes by rockering the toe to allow an early breakover and
> beveling edge of the hoof surface on the heel of the shoe (allows
> hooves, roots, etc. to slip off if they catch there

Yes............also what really helped our one mare (and her daughter looks
similiar) are the natural-balance shoes. They allow the farrier to set them
back further (take back the toe), but still have the nail holes in the right
place.

These two mares really want to grow toe, and towards the end of a shoeing
period, the one mare always looked awful-and was clipping herself.  With the
natural balance shoes, she does fine the whole 7-8 weeks, and even a week or
so further, if the farrier can't get out.

Definatly worth the extra $12.50!

Karen