Re: RC: Re: Long toe, low heel

Karen Sullivan wrote:

> Yes............also what really helped our one mare (and her daughter looks
> similiar) are the natural-balance shoes. They allow the farrier to set them
> back further (take back the toe), but still have the nail holes in the right
> place.

Karen -

Encourage your farrier to try the idea of setting the shoe back
*without* taking back the toe - just leave it out there.  The bearing
surface will wear back a bit at breakover, but the hoof needs the wall
thickness all the way to the bottom.  Don't weaken the wall by dubbing
back the toe.

-Abby